Sunday, March 12, 2017

Let's Talk About It -- Week 5

As this week was ASU's spring break, I couldn't work in the SLG or CHILLL labs. However, I did have the computer at home, which weighs about half as much as I do and took up much of our dining room.
The keyboard and game lockbox 
(which contains all patient information as well
 as tape and touch screen wipes and 
other necessities) on my dining room table

Finally I could work on my skills as an RA by testing my siblings at home. My 15 year old sister's working memory was nearly impeccable, but with my brother...

My somewhat stressed brother playing the POWWER video game

...not so much. Still, between the two of them I was able to administer the tests for all "islands" and by Saturday felt prepared to enter the field!

My first true test occurred at Chandler sunset library. I drove the computer there, set up, and tested the first sixth grade student. He was surprisingly excited, even for the repetitive tasks. When learning the names of the monsters, he would repeat the nonsense syllables out loud, during the difficult tasks he kept assuring me he'd eventually get it, and at the end of the session, he exclaimed that the POWWER video game was "super cool!"

If only I had so much energy in sixth grade...

My preparation paid off, and my first experience as an RA was exciting.  Now I'm confident that I could administer the tests without any of the other researchers watching over me. I'm able to set up and pack up the monstrous computer, start and record the game, and even, with enviable speed, deliver to snotty children. Saturday was a success. 

Next week, ASU's classes will be back in session (meaning the buses will run again and I won't have to drive as far), and my own in the SLG and CHILLL labs will continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment