Saturday, April 1, 2017

Let's Talk About It -- Week 8

After spending week 7 enjoying spring break with my friends and family, I was ready to get back into my work in the CHILLL and SLG labs.

With data collection done and checked (over and over and over again), graphs made and conclusions drawn, the SLG lab drew to a close. Dr. Peter promised to send me the rough draft of the paper she has been writing about our findings, and that was it, at least for this project in the Speech and Language Genetics lab. We narrowed down genes and chromosomal regions that could possibly affect either speech abilities (leading to such things as speech impairment and dyslexia) or working memory (leading to low memory scores). We found, as we had predicted, that most of the children with dyslexia or speech impairment scored low on the working memory tasks as well.

My experience in the SLG lab was my first introduction to real life genetics.

But my time with Dr. Peter isn't over yet. She asked for my help in another project, one I don't yet know anything about but would be glad to work on, as I really enjoyed the genetics analysis of our previous project. As soon as the paper is proofread, I'll learn more about this new study!

There wasn't much to do in the CHILLL lab except continue our assessment of children. On friday, I drove out to Tempe to evaluate another student. She was much quieter than my first student had been, but at the end of the session she told me she had fun so it was worth it.

Next week marks the week before our school play, meaning my ability to work in the CHILLL lab will be limited. However, I still have plenty of material to read and hopefully I'll find out about this mysterious second project of Dr. Peter's.

Have a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment